Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Alright I'll write!


Several of my domainer fans (both of them) have been badgering me to write more often. I don't think it has much to do with their appreciation of my chosen topics, but rather more so they can sit back and watch when the flame wars heat up and the .commie clique from Ricks descends down upon me once more.
Hey, I can take it. I'm old and take naps and forget who called me what very soon after having read it anway. Heck, I've been in this game for much longer than most of them, so what do they know huh? How long you ask? Long enough to have coined terms like .commie, alt extensions, domain front running, domain cherry picking, and long enough to have decided to NOT reg Stocks.com and Bonds.com etc etc at $0 cost. The first time I think I heard the term Domainer was in a Wallstreet room where the first dessemination of stock market news was being regularly fed over the Internet. We did it. There was talk of the undesirables laying claim to some URLs and planning actual commercial uses for them. God no! Were we concerned? Not much, because that would mean graphics, and that would just "slow down the Net". Couldn't work, and "they" wouldn't let just one person control those generic names for long anyway.
I'm still wondering when "they" are gonna jump in and take back all those names. Maybe it's not gonna really happen? Maybe Google and Microsoft/Yahoo are just gonna squeeze them so hard with the coming recession, that they'll just have to start thinking about developing and adding real content. Sounds to me like it'll be back to the future with US small business finally looking to get a significant website and buying brandables rather than type-in names. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment